Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Splendor in the Ordinary

Cindy Mercer Photography

To what do I direct my energies? What do I value and how do I show it? Where do my thoughts run? ’Tis the season for some “perspective” quotations. I have randomly listed some of my favorites.

“He has made earthly blessings for our benefit, and not for our harm.”

John Calvin

To Christ: “This is the happy life—to rejoice in you and to you and because of you.”

Augustine

“If you marry the spirit of the age, you’ll soon be a widow.”

G.K. Chesterton

“That man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest.”
“Simplify, simplify, simplify.

Henry David Thoreau

“Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.”

Will Rogers

I may not be a smart man, but I know what love is.

Forrest Gump

“Friendship is the greatest of worldly goods. Certainly to me it is the chief happiness of life. If I had to give a piece of advice to a young man about a place to live, I think I should say, ‘Sacrifice almost everything to live where you can be near your friends.’”

C.S. Lewis

“So, friends, every day do something
that won't compute. Love the Lord.
Love the world. Work for nothing.
Take all that you have and be poor.
Love someone who does not deserve it.”

Wendell Berry

“There is no more lovely, friendly and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage.”

Martin Luther

We love the things we love for what they are.

Robert Frost

“Before, I used to be uncommonly terrified with thunder, and to be struck with terror when I saw a thunderstorm rising; but now, on the contrary, it rejoiced me. I felt God, so to speak, at the first appearance of a thunderstorm.”

Jonathan Edwards

Deep within Mordor, Sam and Frodo feel doomed. Hope is all but lost. Yet amidst such apparent hopelessness, Samwise Gamgee—the peasant hobbit who, despite his humble origins, has gradually emerged as a figure of great moral and spiritual insight—beholds a single star shimmering above the dark clouds of Mordor: “The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.... Now, for a moment, his own fate, and even his master's, ceased to trouble him. He crawled back into the brambles and laid himself by Frodo's side, and putting away all fear he cast himself into a deep and untroubled sleep.”

J.R.R. Tolkien

Things that cancer cannot do:

It cannot cripple love
It cannot shatter hope
It cannot corrode faith
It cannot destroy peace
It cannot kill friendship
It cannot suppress memories
It cannot silence courage
It cannot invade the soul
It cannot conquer the spirit
It cannot steal eternal life

Anonymous

Keep deception and lies far from me,
Give me neither poverty nor riches;
Feed me with the food that is my portion.

Proverbs 30:8


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goodness, what an excellent team you and Cindy make !

Anonymous said...

Cindy's photography is such a blessing and your articles are always thoughtful and inspiring.