Monday, October 11, 2010
Eleven Things the Bible Teaches about Itself
(with acknowledgments to Phil Ryken)
1. The Bible is God’s own word to us, and thus more than a merely human book. 1 Thessalonians 2:13 For this reason we also constantly thank God that when you received the word of God which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but for what it really is, the word of God, which also performs its work in you who believe.
2. The Bible is God-breathed. It’s words are God’s exhaled words. What Scripture says, God says. 2 Timothy 3:16a All Scripture is inspired by God . . . .
3. The Bible was written by human authors under the direction of God’s Holy Spirit. 2 Peter 1:19-21 So we have the prophetic word made more sure, to which you do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star arises in your hearts. But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one's own interpretation, for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.
4. The Bible was written by human authors who used their skills and abilities. Ecclesiastes 12:9-10 In addition to being a wise man, the Preacher also taught the people knowledge; and he pondered, searched out and arranged many proverbs. The Preacher sought to find delightful words and to write words of truth correctly.
5. The Bible is God’s instruction to us on how we are to live this life. Psalm 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path.
6. The Bible teaches us the way of salvation. 2 Timothy 3:14-17 You, however, continue in the things you have learned and become convinced of, knowing from whom you have learned them, and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
7. The Bible is indispensable – necessary to life itself, as needful as food to the body. Matthew 4:4 But He answered and said, "It is written, 'MAN SHALL NOT LIVE ON BREAD ALONE, BUT ON EVERY WORD THAT PROCEEDS OUT OF THE MOUTH OF GOD.'"
8. The Bible is given to equip Christians for living the Christian life. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work. John 17:17 "Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth.
9. The Bible is not a dead letter, but a living word – an active force in our life. Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
10. The Bible’s message is clear and accessible to us. God is a good communicator! Deuteronomy 30:11-14 "For this commandment which I command you today is not too difficult for you, nor is it out of reach. "It is not in heaven, that you should say, 'Who will go up to heaven for us to get it for us and make us hear it, that we may observe it?' "Nor is it beyond the sea, that you should say, 'Who will cross the sea for us to get it for us and make us hear it, that we may observe it?' "But the word is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart, that you may observe it.
11. The Bible’s words and truth are eternally enduring. Isaiah 40:8 The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever. Mark 13:31 "Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away."
Posted by Ligon Duncan at 1:39 PM