Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Wait 'til next year!



Nothing super-spiritual today, just a note that I noticed Rick Phillips was lamenting the demise of the Red Sox over at Ref21. I didn't realize that Rick was a member of "The Nation."

Remember Rick, "Baseball breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone" (A. Bartlett Giamatti, ex-commissioner, in "The Green Fields of the Mind"). My wife and I will be rooting for the home team this Friday night at Fenway.

Just wait 'til next year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of a discussion I had at a wedding I recently performed. The groom was a Cubs fan. At the rehearsal dinner I was sitting with some groomsmen who were also Cubs fans. I told them that it is a wise young lady who chooses to marry a Cubs fan. Simply by being a Cubs fan the young man proves that he is faithful, persevering and is able to remain so in the face of great disappointment - good training for marriage. Maybe the same applies to citizens of "the nation!" I'm not a baseball fan, but I can still relate. I've been a Minnesota Vikings fan since I was a kid.